Sun has been worshiped as a deity by different religions in several ways. Sun is considered as the ruler of both the above and the lower worlds. Sun, being the origin of most of the energies on earth, has been deified by humans to offer gratitude to this life-giving source of nature. The custom of devoting prayers to Sun is still being passed on as a legacy in the form of Surya Namaskar also known widely as Sun salutation.
What is Surya Namaskar? Surya Namaskar or Sun Salutation is a method to salute Sun. The term Surya Namaskar has derived its meaning from Sanskrit language where Surya depicts Sun and Namaskar connotes bowing down in the glory and respect of lord Sun or Sun Salutation.
The Vedic time speaks of the association of body with distinct devas or divine impulse of light. The yogis are of the view that our whole body is governed by different forms of energies revolving in the universe enrooting out of the divine natural light. Surya Namaskar is an aged practice of Yoga that involves a holistic salutation to the sun. The benefits of Surya Namaskar lie in the sequence of twelve asanas of Yoga composing this wholesome yoga practice of Surya Namaskar. The ancient forms of Yoga whether kundalini Yoga or Hatha yoga, firmly state that Surya Namaskar is just not one of the yoga practices but it is an overall body workout. The 12 poses of Surya Namaskar impart the benefits of Yoga by awakening all the parts of your body thereby empowering the organs by infusing a serene charge of natural solar energy in the body. Surya Namaskar Yoga arrives with countless Yoga benefits for the wholesome wellbeing.
Surya Namaskar involves salutation to the sun by chanting Surya Namaskar mantra while performing the sequence of 12 poses of Surya Namaskar facing the sunrise. The twelve steps of Surya Namaskar are as follows:
• Ashwa Sanchalanasana
• Ashtanga Namaskara
• Adho Mukha Savasana
• Ashwa Sanchaklasana
The twelve poses of Surya Namaskar or Sun salutation are organized by Vedic science in such a way so as to synchronize with the different parts of body charging the body with solar energy right from the head to the toe. Suryanamaskar is a full package of mental and physical hygiene. It not only fosters healthy well-being but also leads towards the path of spiritual awakening.
Top Benefits of Surya Namaskar (Sun Salutation):
The benefits of Surya Namaskar lies in the 12 poses forming a sequence in the Yoga practice of Suryanamaskar. Further, Suryanamaskar or Sun salutation holds immense benefit to healing the body, soul, and mind naturally, sowing a seed of spiritual awakening to connect with nature. Following are the benefits of Suryanamaskar:
1. Body Toning and Flexibility: The most basic Surya Namaskar yoga benefit is flexibility. All the asanas carried out in a sequence while performing Suryanamaskar targets all the bones and muscles making them strong and extremely flexible. Padahastasana in Surya Namaskartones up the body including abs, arms, thighs, and butt, perfectly by the goodness of overall physical workout combo by providing a full stretch to the body in a go. Further, Ashtanga Namaskar works on empowering the wrist joints giving a better grip and strength.
2. Natural Body Charger: Sun is a natural form of Vitamin D. Practicing Suryanamaskar in the very morning makes your body absorb the goodness of Vitamin D in the body which not only boosts bone density but also regulates and charges the body mechanism giving you a healthy body and skin. Surya Namaskar fulfills the deficiency of various vital vitamins and minerals in the body naturally.
3. Universal Gym: Surya Namaskar works as a natural and universal gym because the seven asanas of Surya Namaskar works as a quick overall workout. Surya Namaskar works as a quick cardio combo if practiced on a faster pace. This yoga practice works as a proper natural workout for abs, thigh and butt. Moreover, Surya Namaskar Yoga benefits the body by lowering cholesterol in the body and improving blood circulation thereby channelizing a good level of oxygen to all the organs of body.
4. Healthy Gut: Sun salutation or Surya Namaskar stimulates the digestive system of our body. Surya Namaskar Yoga benefits the gut by stimulating the right digestive juices which in turn results in better digestion. The forward fold in Surya Namaskar aids the better functioning of the digestive system. Surya Namaskar along with balanced diet and rest boosts the overall digestive mechanism of the body giving you a healthy Gut with good health.
5. Healthy Lower Body: The prayer pose of Surya Namaskar strengthens the lower back of the practitioner firming the lower back along with reducing or healing problems associated with lower body like sciatica, joint pains, nerve disorders, etc. The prayer pose connects both the hemispheres of brain-enhancing a better balance and mental hygiene.
6. Flawless Blood Circulation: The breathing sequence of inhaling and exhaling while practicing Surya Namaskar oxygenate the blood which maintains a perfect flow of blood throughout the body keeping lungs ventilated. Surya Namaskar is a perfect yoga exercise to detoxify the body by draining out the toxins from the blood.
7. Beauty Enhancer: Since eras sun salutation or Surya Namaskar has been used as a natural source of vital minerals and vitamins to the body by humans. Saluting Sun is bowing respect to the Sun for originating life on the Universe. Sun has always been a source of various elements and vitamins essential for body besides, Surya Namaskar incorporates a chain of yoga asanas enhancing the supply of oxygen in blood purifying the blood resulting in renewal of cells underlying the skin restoring the youthful glowing skin and cascading long and healthy hair.
8. Emotional Balancer: Surya Namaskar incorporates the string of 12 asanas extending the top benefits of Surya Namaskar. The practice of Surya Namaskar targets the nerve centers also known as the seven Chakras placed in the body associated with different divine energies governing our body. The 12 asanas work wonders in unclogging the seven chakras, activating them by infusing solar power with optimum yoga exercise. This results in maintain the overall body balance which in turns enhance the emotional balance by healing anxiety, mood swings and other nerves related disorder serving you with great mental hygiene.
9. Natural Healer: Surya Namaskar is a yoga practice that naturally heals all the physical and mental ailments. Practicing Surya Namaskar facing the sun aids sun gazing at the right time in the right postures along with the multi yoga asanas makes the body, mind, and soul to absorb the fresh sun rays after the dawn right from the head to the toe. This not only unclogs the blockages of body but also heals all the physical and mental ailments.
10. Spiritual Awakening: Along with a natural healer and universal gym Surya Namaskar aids a serene path towards spirituality. One of the top excellent benefits of Surya Namaskar is that it helps you to unblock the chakras, the nerve centers of the body making oneself more awakened. Surya Namaskar Yoga benefits individuals by preparing them for higher possibilities and connecting them to the higher-self.
Read More: 12 Steps Of Surya Namaskar (Sun Salutation)
FINAL WORDS: Furthermore, Surya Namaskar has been associated with various religions granting the natural fruits to generations since eras. Surya Namaskar yoga is benefiting the human race since the Vedic Times by its uncommendable health benefits. Surya Namaskar is a combination of diversified benefits in one package. The yogis witness the power of the Sun to bring organisms to life which can never be denied. Therefore, this Vedic yoga practice is being forwarded to generations after generations to conserve the art and excellent benefits of Surya Namaskar in this modern time.
Join 200 hour yoga teacher training in Rishikesh to master your skills in yoga and pass on the experience as a yoga teacher. Moreover, you can set your career as a worldwide Ayurveda Practitioner by enrolling in the Ayurveda courses in India. Experience a serene rejuvenation of body, soul, and mind by being a part of our holistic Retreats.